SubjectRe: unkown PCI device
Date
In article <linux.kernel.19981130071504.A14818@tiktok.cygnus.com>,
Michael Meissner <meissner@cygnus.com> wrote:
>On Sun, Nov 29, 1998 at 07:08:46PM -0800, david parsons wrote:
[/proc/pci; boon or menace?]

>> servers, unless the companies providing these servers obligingly
>> provide free upgrades. If, instead, you rip all the vendor
>> and card IDs out of the kernel (or put them into a config option,
>> if the commercial servers require the actual text) and just have
>> the Unknown vendor Unknown device, the commercial servers will
>> be able to pick up the vendor and card ids (which I'd hope they're
>> doing now, but who knows) until the last ia32 architecture machine
>> rolls off to the junkyard.
>
>Another way to do it is to have a /proc/pci device driver that autoloads
>whenever /proc/pci is loaded. Or allow userlevel programs to create a FIFO in
>/proc, and hang a program off waiting for read requests.

That sounds like it would be the best of all possible worlds; move
/proc/pci into a lkm, nail down the interface to it, then never touch
it again. It does mean that the internal interfaces would need to be
published, but that's a pretty trivial thing.

____
david parsons \bi/ UDI, anyone?
\/

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:45    [W:0.075 / U:0.344 seconds]