SubjectRe: SMP scalability: 8 -> 32 CPUs
On Mon, 30 Nov 1998, Stephen C. Tweedie wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Sun, 29 Nov 1998 16:45:17 -0500 (GMT), ramak@wipinfo.soft.net
> (Ramakrishna K) said:
>
> > Also just a general question from curiosity perspective, is the
> > performance of a cluster of these boxes better than a say 1024
> > way SMP box. This is assuming we are able to scale it to say 1024
> > CPUs. This is vis-a-vis compared to a cluster involving SMP boxes
> > ( totally adding upto 1024 CPU's ).
>
> You simply cannot answer a question like that! Let me restate your
> question:
>
> "Let's assume that we invent some mechanism for binding 1024
> cpus into a single box. I know it doesn't exist yet, but how
> fast will it be?"
>
> Binding that many CPUs together is hard! You tell me how you plan to do
> it, and _then_ I'll tell you whether clustering is faster. :)
>
> --Stephen

There is a very simple answer to this:)
Unless it's a problem that will take years to complete, the cluster will
finish the job sooner (only metric that really makes sense), since you can
make one now.

--
Henrik Olsen, Dawn Solutions I/S
URL=http://www.iaeste.dk/~henrik/