    SubjectProblems with to large of a kernel
    Having just started messing around with the 2.1.x kernels with the imminent
    release of 2.2, I am having quite a time of it. I cannot seem to get a
    kernel image to compile that I may use on a floppy disk. First couple of
    times through I tried adding in the bits and pieces that I use in the kernel
    configuration and it wouldn't compile, the kernel size was to large for a
    zImage. Went through and pared out a bunch of stuff, but to no avail.

    So, I remove the directory where I was working and untar a fresh copy. make
    mrproper, make menuconfig (and make no changes), make dep, make clean, make
    zImage. Too large.

    tools/build bootsect setup compressed/vmlinux.out CURRENT > zImage
    Root device is (8, 2)
    Boot sector 512 bytes.
    Setup is 1276 bytes.
    System is 543 kB
    System is too big. Try using bzImage or modules.
    make[1]: *** [zImage] Error 1
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/kernel-devel/2.1.129/linux/arch/i386/boot'
    make: *** [zImage] Error 2

    Out of the box, it's too damn big. How is one supposed to add the features
    that one needs of the default set of configuration choices is too big to
    begin with?

    Am I missing something really obvious here, because I am feeling rather
    inadequate about the whole thing right about now.

    Timm Gleason

    Microsoft gives you Windows, Linux gives you the whole house
    Timm Gleason -- -- --
    N2H2, Creators of Bess -- 900 Fourth Avenue, 34th Floor--Seattle, WA 98164

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:45    [W:0.019 / U:68.924 seconds]