SubjectRe: Volume Managers in Linux
On Tue, 3 Nov 1998, MOLNAR Ingo wrote:

> On Mon, 2 Nov 1998, Shawn Leas wrote:
>
> > Because LVM is basically at it's core a physical -> logical address
> > remapping mechanism, RAID, mirroring, and all the goodies fit REAL
> > nice in userland.
>
> ugh ... RAID in user-land? Have you thought about the performance
> implications yet? How do you implement features like 'idle IO bandwith
> utilization' in user-space (it's part of the kernel-space RAID driver)?
> How do you boot from such a device? What do you do if the user-space RAID
> code happens to page-in itself from ... a RAID-device? User-space RAID is,
> believe me, unbelievably more complex (thus slower) than kernel-space
> RAID. Frankly, i can see no good reason to put RAID into user-space, only
> (unnecessary) problems.
> -- mingo

All correct. Not having RAID in LVM doesn't negate the benefits of
having LVM. You are very correct though.

-Shawn
<=========== America Held Hostage ===========>
Day 2112 for the poor and the middle class.
Day 2131 for the rich and the dead.
810 days remaining in the Raw Deal.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:45    [W:0.069 / U:0.528 seconds]