SubjectRe: Volume Managers in Linux
In message <19981103201700.A1413@kotnet.org>, winmute writes:
+-----
| The concept is already explained by someone else. I didn't check it in detail
| but think it is ok.
|
| LVM can be implemented at two levels. There is roughly the way solaris does it
| and the way AIX does it. Solaris still keeps the partitioning system,
| AIX starts from a raw disk.
+--->8

Just to confuse things a bit more, it appears that the OS/2 implementation
of AIX's LVM (in the new OS/2 Warp Server beta) starts with partitions, not
raw disk. AIX can get away with raw disk because it's reasonable to expect
that there won't be any other OSes on the same machine... aye, there's the
rub. A raw-disk LVM will force Linux to be the only OS on the system.

--
brandon s. allbery [os/2][linux][solaris][japh] allbery@kf8nh.apk.net
system administrator [WAY too many hats] allbery@ece.cmu.edu

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:45    [W:0.067 / U:0.924 seconds]