SubjectRe: GURU needed: Linux vs. FreeBSD
On Tue, 3 Nov 1998, Ilia M. Zubkov wrote:

> Linux vs. FreeBSD: I wonder what kernel/OS is considered the best
> and most stable to run on a high-loaded systems, such
> WWW/SQL/FTP/NEWS systems with big traffic?

There's not much of a difference between the systems.
Both Linux and OpenBSD provide the level of performance,
security and stability you need.

> So, what about Linux kernel? What do linux gurus think: is Linux a good
> choice for a professional heavy-loaded WWW/SQL/FTP/NEWS system? Is it
> stable if heavy-loaded? Any pointers to docs answering my question?

The docs point is an argement for Linux. Linux documentation
seems to be somewhat more abundant for Linux.

> If speaking about my experience, we are a small ISP distributing our
> services on many Linux boxes, so there are no experience of running
> heavy-loaded systems, no problems. But I wonder what happens if I
> need a stable solution for big traffic one day.

Since both Linux and *BSD provide all you need,
your choice is best made on where your own
expertise is. A well-setup Linux system will be
better than a slightly-off-tune BSD system that
was half-done by some <insert-other-OS-here>-junky.

> P.S. Sorry if this is considered an offtopic.

It's not that bad, as long as this thread:
- stops here
- serves as a reminder to us not to forget the
high-end servers (there are some thoughts about
how to better scale towards the very high end,
we will want to solidify those before 2.3 is started)

cheers,

Rik -- typing slowly because my kbd is dvorak since sun 19:40...