SubjectRe: NO_ATIME Patch
Shawn Leas writes:
> On Mon, 30 Nov 1998, david leigh wrote:
>
> > Hi All
> >
> > This is my first post to the list. If its a post that should be at another
> > place just tell me and I'll leave quietly...
> >
> > I have been trying to configure a machine optimised to run as a squid cache.
> > I've used Michael O'Reilly's FileHandle patch (which I think is working OK -
> > I'm still not sure which refernce is to the filedescriptor maximum - there
> > are options for maximum number of files per process and maximum number of
> > processes - I've got both set at 3092 - any higher and the kernel that
> > results won't boot. I've also altered the resulting limits.h file in
> > /usr/include/linux to set the file_max option there to 3092) and the
> > configure script will run without complaining about anything.
> >
> > Now I want to set the cache drives to use a NO_ATIME option. I found a patch
> > looking through dejanews but it didn't take. Can anyone let me know if the
> > 2.0.36 kernel allows you to set a NO_ATIME option, or if I need a patch, and
> > if I do need a patch wehre it can be found?
>
> You can just use the noatime option, you need no patch for that. I believe
> you want to get Richard Gooch's (I think?) nodiratime patch and use that too.

The nodiratime patch is in the 2.1.x series now (I can't remember when
it went in). Note that nodiratime is a subset of noatime, so if you're
happy to discard access times on all inodes, just use noatime. If
you'd rather preserve access times on files but not on directories,
then use nodiratime.

Regards,

Richard....

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:45    [W:0.030 / U:2.160 seconds]