SubjectIP Alias
Date

Hi Juan,
I have few doughts in IP Alias.
1) How route table will be effected. I mean is there any changes required
for RIP...?
For e.g, If I assign an IP address belonging to some other subnet, will
routing loops may occur...?

2) How ARP will respond to these (eth0:1, etc) new interfaces which have
been assignd IP address of some other subnet. There may be replys from
more than one host, and so increase in control traffic.

3) If I were to advertise these(IP Aliased) static routes(esp. those IP
addresses which belong to some other subnet virtually), in my RIP
reports, is there a possibility of routing loops.

4) How does the source routing and Record Routing behave in this case..I
mean will there be any kind of overhead..?

5) Is there any RFC or IP MIB regarding IP Aliasing stuff, I want more
theory before I start off.. any pointers for implimentors..?

6) Is there any IP Alias specific Discussion Group..?

7) Cisco impliments something like Sub-interfaces and ip secondary
address, are they similar to IP Aliasing.

Mean while I would like to know more applicability of IP Aliasing apart
from a virtual web hosting, etc. I would be more interested in vLAN
fundas...

Thanks for ur time and congrats for a wonderful work..

Regards
Vishwanath S. Edavayyanamath
Software Engineer, Future Software Pvt. Ltd, Chennai, India
Ph : +91-44-4330550 (335)
_
/ /__/ / _ \/ // /\ \/ / . . . t h e c h o i c e o f a

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:45    [W:0.062 / U:0.144 seconds]