SubjectRe: UDMA is NFG on Ultra33 (CMD646 in disguise)
Mark Lord wrote on 27 Nov 98, 14:55 :

> "Alex P. Madarasz, Jr." wrote:
>
> > I've been running an Ultra33 for months under Win98 (and briefly - soon
> > to be full time - under NT 5 beta 2) with no corruption at all.
>
> How do you *know* that there is no corruption?

I check the disks regularly (at _least_ once a week) using Win98's scandisk.

> [I get corruption on maybe 3 files out of 13000 under Linux,
> and had the card for over a year before noticing it, by doing
> file by file comparisms after copying 13000 files to the drive]

Haven't done anything like that yet. Since I'm using FAT32 for all my
partitions I'm assuming that if there are corruption problems they will show up
in the filesystem as well as files themselves. My 3GB data drive has over 10K
files on it so I'm in the same usage ballpark as you.

> > Promise Ultra33
> > ---------------
> > - BIOS : ULTRA33 V1.26
> > - ASSY : 9709-00 REV B
>
> That information is *useful*. I'll pull my card out and check
> the REV number, which I would bet is "REV A".
>
> What does /proc/pci have to say about the card.

Don't have Linux installed (yet?) on this box.

Might leave a partition free for it when I rebuild the system as NT, but I need
accelerated OpenGL support for my FireGL 1000 Pro so ....

--
Alex P. Madarasz, Jr. -- madarasz@erols.com