SubjectRe: Support for YMF724 soundcards?
On Thu, 26 Nov 1998, James Best wrote:

> I, too, have looked into writing a driver for this chip family. As mentioned,
> the PDF documentation online is unreadable, and I have contacted Yamaha about
> reciveing a hardcopy.
> I was unable to get my card operational with the oplsa2 driver, though I will
> have more time this weekend to play with it.

Thanks to Richard Tobin (richard@cogsci.ed.ac.uk), who pointed me to the
file:

http://www.imail.net.tw/qtronix/driver/qumax/yamaha/ds1e1110.pdf

From looking at the contents, the YMF724 is quite different than the YMF711
(OPL3-SA2) and 715 (OPL3-SA3) chipsets. I hadn't realized that the 724 was
a PCI card, and while the chipset seems to have some nice features, it has
some drawbacks from the driver writing perspective. They've dropped the
MSS codec that the older ISA chipsets had, so that means the current opl3sa2
driver is pretty useless, as it is basically an enabler for the existing
Linux MSS driver. Yamaha still includes a SoundBlaster Pro, but only as a
game compatibility measure; it is not fully featured. The OPL3 and MPU-401
that are onboard seem fully functional, though.

After skimming through the specs some more, there seems to be enough there
to maybe allow getting the SB Pro (such as it is), OPL3, and MPU-401 up and
running, but it probably will involve quite a bit of PCI coding. As for the
using the real functionality of the card, there's no actual documentation on
that in any of the PDF files I've poked around in. :( I am intrigued a bit
by the technical specs; the chipset has the ability to support SPDIF
connections and is AC-3 enabled. What does a soundcard with one of these
on it cost?

Scott

PS: For anyone else stymied in trying to get a good copy of the file
YMF721.PDF from Yamaha's ftp site, the file 4ml2e.pdf in the same
directory from the above URL has the specs for the YMF721. It
actually is only a wavetable add-on for the YMF7xx chipsets...