SubjectRe: Support for YMF724 soundcards?
On Wed, 25 Nov 1998, Alan Cox wrote:

> > Are there any plans for support of the YMF724 sound chips used on many
> > inexpensive PCI sound cards?
>
> Nobody is currently working on YMF724 cards , you are in luck, its your
> golden chance to write a driver

Has Yamaha released specs for the chipset? I was looking on their ftp site
a few days ago, and the latest PDF file there is YMF721.PDF (which both
xpdf and the last couple of versions of Acrobat won't read!). If it's
compatible with the OPL3-SAx, which I believe is what the aforementioned
YMF721 is, then the existing opl3sa2 driver might work. I have a SAx
card, and it works fine when treated as a SA3, so there's a chance Yamaha
have continued maintaining backwards compatibility.

Speaking of the opl3sa2 driver, I was playing with the microphone volume
mixer stuff tonight. I think I'll be done with implementing all of the
useful mixer stuff with a few more hours work, so a patch should be
forthcoming. It's too bad that my old job kept from working on this
more earlier in the year; it actually hasn't been as much work as I thought
it would be, due to prodigous cutting-and-pasting from pss.c.

Scott