SubjectRe: High UID support for Linux
Liran Zvibel wrote:

> On Fri, 20 Nov 1998, Matti Aarnio wrote:
> > Depends what you mean with 'boot', or starting user-space
> > programs, like '/sbin/init' ?
> >
> > Extending EXT2 fs uid-spaces is trivial, once the interface
> > issues to user-space are resolved (and all new binaries are
> > in use which use 32-bit uids..)
>
> While doing it we can change the time stamps to 64 bits, and resolve the
> y2038 problem.
Yes, fix as many of these things as early as possible, the longer we
leave it the harder it will be to fix as more and more apps come to rely
on/expect things of a certain size.

off_t is something else that should be 64 bits. Yes, it will break
programs but they can be fixed.

The main problem is the existing binaries. SCO faced this problem a few
years back when they had to break Xenix binary compatability with things
like 32 bit inode #, etc. I seem to remember that they basically gave
you a different stat() that you used on newly compiled programs; &
things like that. Let's see how they handled it.

Ignoring it is not a problem, it has to be done.

--
Alain Williams