    SubjectRe: Linux-2.1.129..

    On 23 Nov 1998, Eric W. Biederman wrote:
    > ST> That would be true if we didn't do the free_page_and_swap_cache trick.
    > ST> However, doing that would require two passes: once by the swapper, and
    > ST> once by shrink_mmap(): before actually freeing a page.

    This is something I considered doing. It has various advantages, and it's
    almost done already in a sense: the swap cache thing is what would act as
    the buffer between the two passes.

    Then the page table scanning would never really page anything out: it
    would just move things into the swap cache. That makes the table scanner
    simpler, actually. The real page-out would be when the swap-cache is
    flushed to disk and then freed.

    I'd like to see this, although I think it's way too late for 2.2

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:45    [W:0.018 / U:98.600 seconds]