    SubjectRe: /dev/nvram on my Celebris
    Neil Conway <nconway.list@ukaea.org.uk> writes:

    > Hence: let's change Configure.help to something a little more sensible.

    Something like this? I think it would suffice to make *me* think twice
    about randomly mangling /dev/nvram again. :-)

    (I've snipped the part about storing bits of important data, since if
    you do this, you should know pretty well what you're doing anyway, and
    I've probably decreased accuracy by snipping the part about the RTC.
    Instead, I've tried to stress the point that it contains information
    crucial to booting the computer, and that you should use some
    specialized program to much with it, rather than text/fileutils.)

    ~kzm

    ---8<----
    CONFIG_NVRAM
    If you say Y here and create a character special file /dev/nvram
    with major number 10 and minor number 144 using mknod ("man mknod"),
    you get read and write access to the 50 bytes of non-volatile memory
    that stores CMOS (BIOS) configuration information. With the
    appropriate utility, /dev/nvram can then be used to view or change
    the boot configuration.

    On Atari machines, /dev/nvram is always configured and does not need
    to be selected.

    This driver is also available as a module ( = code which can be
    inserted in and removed from the running kernel whenever you want).
    The module will be called nvram.o. If you want to compile it as a
    module, say M here and read Documentation/modules.txt.
    ---8<----

    ~kzm