    SubjectRe: Intel microcode fixes [OFF-TOPIC]
    On Thu, 19 Nov 1998, John Fulmer wrote:

    >In a serious note (microcode viruses aside), I don't think that I or many
    >other people even knew that Intel's microcode was changeable. I wonder
    >what the security implications could be?
    >Does Linux protect the cpu at all in this instance?

    Of course.

    (Though I know _nothing_ about the microcode but Intel can't be so stupid
    to allow changing microcode from userlevel)

    Unless, somebody changes the microcode before loading Linux. Or some device
    driver changes it. But normal user, no.

    | Tuukka Toivonen <> [PGP public key
    | Homepage: available]
    | Try also finger -l
    | Studying information engineering at the University of Oulu

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:45    [W:0.018 / U:21.976 seconds]