    SubjectRe: have a look at this proggie, please.
    David Weinehall wrote:
    > That's NOT an divide by zero...
    >
    > Output:
    >
    > -2147483648 * -1 = -2147483648
    > Floating exception
    > ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    >
    > Quite obviously, -MAXINT-1 * -1 is too large for an integer to hold (by
    > one), but it should *NOT* report a floating exception... Right?!

    Not sure if this is Intelish behavior or POSIX, but divide by zero and
    overflow are treated as SIGFPE's (FPE_INTOVFLOW and FPE_INTDIV0)

    I just looked at this a bit back under borland (I do a lot of my work
    with Borland still -- still working on convincing management to at least
    try out linux). It looked like though it was the way the processor
    reports them (from my 386/486 processor book -- can't check right now,
    book got borrowed). (I had to patch Borland's RTL to allow me to step
    over the offending instruction so I could ignore the behavior -- kind of
    fun manually decoding DIV and IDIV in C code :)

    So assuming that they are looped under FPE, then the behavior is
    correct. the main signal is the SIGFPE, the sub action is FPE_INTOVLOW.

    Regards,
    Steven Roberts

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:45    [W:0.021 / U:0.512 seconds]