SubjectRe: Slow tar ? (2.1.129pre1 and pre4)
"Steven N. Hirsch" <shirsch@adelphia.net> wrote:
->
-> Do either of you run NIS (aka yp)? Traditionally, this problem has its
-> roots in tar attempting an NIS lookup on the user and group ids of the
-> extracted files. In single-user mode, the networking is not up and it
-> won't occur.
->
I don't run NIS, however, the stock /etc/nsswitch.conf file had MANY
references to NIS in it, ordered before FILES. I changed everything
to FILES (except HOSTS: FILES DNS), on the suggestion of a couple guys
who emailed me, and the problem went away.

Funny thing is, nsswitch.conf has been that way for months and months
without this problem, until 2.1.127 and 128. Yes, I should have fixed
it long ago, but I wonder what changed recently so that it suddenly
made a difference to have all those NIS entries in there?

Anyway, thanks to all who helped, the problem is solved!

Michael

--
"Life is not a dress rehearsal" -- unknown

Michael Nelson San Francisco, CA nelson@imat.com