    SubjectRe: Intel microcode fixes [OFF-TOPIC]
    Followup to:  <>
    By author: menion <>
    In newsgroup:

    > > Microcode fixes for Intel P6-core chips are uploaded to the CPU either
    > > by the BIOS, or by a driver. Linux obviously doesn't have a driver,
    > > which means it has to be done by the BIOS (usually shipped as part of
    > > the BIOS) or we have to get a driver.
    > >
    > > The microcode update itself is delivered from Intel as a binary blob.
    > >
    > > -hpa
    > Call me superstitous (and a bad speller), but the idea of upgrading
    > micro-code is even worse than that of bioses. Frankly the idea of
    > replaceing a bios is enough to make me reach for a little Maalox (at
    > times), but the idea of upgrading _micro-coding_ on a stinking CPU makes
    > me want... some Mez-Cal(*), or Jose Cuervo at least. (and lots of it.)

    The microcode update is nonpersistent. If it doesn't work, you can
    cut the power and restart the CPU in original state.

    PGP: 2047/2A960705 BA 03 D3 2C 14 A8 A8 BD 1E DF FE 69 EE 35 BD 74
    See for web page and full PGP public key
    I am Bahá'í -- ask me about it or see
    "To love another person is to see the face of God." -- Les Misérables

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:45    [W:0.020 / U:2.540 seconds]