SubjectRe: Intel microcode fixes [OFF-TOPIC]
Followup to:  <>
By author: menion <>
In newsgroup:

> > Microcode fixes for Intel P6-core chips are uploaded to the CPU either
> > by the BIOS, or by a driver. Linux obviously doesn't have a driver,
> > which means it has to be done by the BIOS (usually shipped as part of
> > the BIOS) or we have to get a driver.
> >
> > The microcode update itself is delivered from Intel as a binary blob.
> >
> > -hpa
> Call me superstitous (and a bad speller), but the idea of upgrading
> micro-code is even worse than that of bioses. Frankly the idea of
> replaceing a bios is enough to make me reach for a little Maalox (at
> times), but the idea of upgrading _micro-coding_ on a stinking CPU makes
> me want... some Mez-Cal(*), or Jose Cuervo at least. (and lots of it.)

The microcode update is nonpersistent. If it doesn't work, you can
cut the power and restart the CPU in original state.

PGP: 2047/2A960705 BA 03 D3 2C 14 A8 A8 BD 1E DF FE 69 EE 35 BD 74
See for web page and full PGP public key
I am Bahá'í -- ask me about it or see
"To love another person is to see the face of God." -- Les Misérables