SubjectRe: PCI timings in kernel???
   Date: 	Mon, 16 Nov 1998 17:15:31 +0000
From: Mark Lord <mlord@pobox.com>

I Looked at the latest IDE preview, and have heavy reservations.

We really should NOT have PCI chipset-tuning code in the kernel
UNLESS it is required to boot Linux (very unlikely).

Can you please be more specific about which setting are being set
which you have reservations about?

If it is about PCI latency timer settings, you must then implement
some piece of code in the kernel such that you can guarentee all DMA
activity to/from the controller has ceased around the user request to
change the PCI latency timer value. At least last time I checked,
this was necessary.

Later,
David S. Miller
davem@dm.cobaltmicro.com

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:45    [W:0.094 / U:0.224 seconds]