       Date: 	Mon, 16 Nov 1998 17:15:31 +0000
    From: Mark Lord <>

    I Looked at the latest IDE preview, and have heavy reservations.

    We really should NOT have PCI chipset-tuning code in the kernel
    UNLESS it is required to boot Linux (very unlikely).

    Can you please be more specific about which setting are being set
    which you have reservations about?

    If it is about PCI latency timer settings, you must then implement
    some piece of code in the kernel such that you can guarentee all DMA
    activity to/from the controller has ceased around the user request to
    change the PCI latency timer value. At least last time I checked,
    this was necessary.

    David S. Miller

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:45    [W:0.017 / U:16.784 seconds]