SubjectRe: .127/.128 weirdness
Date
George Bonser enscribed thusly:

> Intel P166 CPU
> 48MB RAM
> IDE Disks
> UP kernel (SMP=1 commented out in Makefile)

> After some random period of time (between 10 minutes and 24 hours) the
> system becomes extremely slow to execute commands. 2.1.125 worked well for
> several days without problems, I never ran .126. Response at the console
> is snappy while typing and the system responds to pings. Programs loaded
> and running appear to respond well, loading new programs takes forever. I
> usually hit reset after about 30 minutes waiting for a shutdown to
> complete. Simple commands such as uptime and free can take up to 10
> minutes to provide output.

So far... It seems to be unanimous. Everyone who has reported
whether the build was SMP enabled or not has responded that this problem
is appearing on SMP disabled builds.

> I am currently running pre-2.1.129-1 for about 30 minutes without
> problems. If anyone desires any additional information or wants to work on
> testing it, I have some time to spend on it today.

I've got a 2.1.128 build running for 11 hours with SMP enabled.
So far, so good...

> George Bonser

> The Linux "We're never going out of business" sale at an FTP site near you!

Mike
--
Michael H. Warfield | (770) 985-6132 | mhw@WittsEnd.com
(The Mad Wizard) | (770) 925-8248 | http://www.wittsend.com/mhw/