SubjectRe: Accessing MMIO PCI space - crossplatform

On Thu, 12 Nov 1998, Jakub Jelinek wrote:

> On SPARC64 particularly, ioremap is a nop, as all RAM and all I/O memory is
> mapped all the time at PAGE_OFFSET+PA, in case of I/O memory non-cacheable
> with side-effects.
> So don't care about sparc64 very much in decisions about ioremap (and about
> sparc32 neither, as I guess you cannot have a matroxfb in a JavaStation).

I dislike the PCI addressing implementation in SPARC64 because it does
not use the FLAT model. This is pain in the ass since BUS addresses are
different from the CPU and from devices that are on the BUS, and PCI
base registers are to be converted to/from CPU, etc..., etc...

Was it really not possible to make things clean for PCI on SPARC (i.e. is
it a constraint of SUN's implementation of PCI) ?

BTW, it is a question, not a flame.

Regards,
Gerard.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:45    [W:2.790 / U:0.004 seconds]