SubjectRe: Comments on Microsoft Open Source documentA
On Mon, Nov 09, 1998 at 01:34:46PM +0000, Alan Cox wrote:
> > Most older protocols are even less optimal (I have in mind RFC 822 and
> > FTP as the worst offenders), but everyone keeps using them. The only
> > protocol that ever has successfully been abandoned since the
>
> FTP is dying, the main things that keep it alive are the fact http
> daemons are bad at handing out large files, and the fact http clients dont
> use byte ranges on broken file transfer retries.

FTP does a lot of things nicer. http doesn't show me the symlinks out
there. It doesn't allow "site chmod". It doesn't allow gets based
on wildcards (mget, or get in ncftp).

There are lots of reasons FTP is still here.

John Goerzen Linux, Unix consulting & programming jgoerzen@complete.org |
Developer, Debian GNU/Linux (Free powerful OS upgrade) www.debian.org |