    SubjectRe: Linux as a SCSI _Target_ device?

    On Tue, 10 Nov 1998, Jeff Noxon wrote:

    > Can anyone tell me if it would be possible to make a Linux system appear
    > to another system as a SCSI target? I want to RAID 5 a whole mess of
    > IDE drives and have it appear to another Linux box as a SCSI hard drive.
    > I'm guessing it would be possible with one of the Symbios chips and some
    > clever hacking. True/False? Where to start?
    > If I need special hardware, I'm out.

    i'm not sure wether such a thing exists in retail, but you also need
    kernel support for this. The point would be to 'export' a block device
    (RAID5) as an SCSI target.

    i was thinking about this one yes, this way Linux could be a real
    hardware-RAID box. It's _not_ really complex, but i havent seen this yet.
    The board has to do something like this:

    - send an IRQ if an SCSI command arrives
    - should be able to DMA out to the SCSI bus and also accept DMA

    probably there are some RT considerations (Linux has to react within a
    given timeframe), but maybe not, and Linux can sure can do much better
    than the millisec-timescale of RAID arrays. It is an interesting project.
    True 50-500G hardware-RAID for $5K or so.

    -- mingo

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:45    [W:0.019 / U:3.892 seconds]