    SubjectRe: [OT] RE: UDI and Free Software (fwd)
    Date
    On Thu, 8 Oct 1998, Marcin Dalecki wrote:

    > > Just imagine how EASY it would be to REENGINE a UDI driver written
    by a
    > > sucking vendor, which continuisly defeats sourcecode/docs
    realese!!!!!!!!
    > > It would be almost like having the most accurate doc's there in
    front of

    > How? How are you going to do that with a binary-only driver?
    Enquiring
    > minds would like to know. (and before you suggest disassembling, it's
    > illegal)

    According to an expert in copyright law under UK copyright there is no
    provision to stop you dissassembling a piece of computer code. In fact
    there
    is a clause under UK copyright law allowing you to basically do what you
    want with a peice of code as long as you are evaluating it or fixing
    bugs
    in it. Forget the nonsense license details on most software they are
    worthless.

    I would have thought another trick under UDI would be a debug version
    that
    logged all API calls allowing you to reverse engineer reads and writes
    from
    the hardware with greater ease. This is the sought of thing we do with
    ICE's
    in the embedded world.

    Graeme

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:44    [W:0.018 / U:209.360 seconds]