    SubjectRe: [Off Topic Conspiracy Theories] RE: UDI and Free(tm) Software
    > What about security.  If a binary only UDI driver is available, will I
    > risk my system's security by plugging it in to my Linux kernel?

    Actually, UDI opens up some interesting possibilities for *increasing*
    system security in the light of untrusted drivers. The UDI APIs are
    designed so that an OS could, if it chose to, run a driver in its own
    private address space, thereby preventing core kernel corruption from
    stray pointers or deliberate misuse, in much the way user applications
    are prevented from corrupting the kernel (though not necessarily with
    the same overhead cost).

    Presumably, such an OS would provide a way to configure the level of
    trust on a per-driver (or even device) basis.

    Kurt Gollhardt email: voice: +1 908 790 2277
    SCO Core OS Architect Murray Hill, NJ fax: +1 908 790 2426

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:44    [W:0.018 / U:31.200 seconds]