    SubjectRe: [patch] Re: Out Of Memory in v. 2.1
    Andrea Arcangeli wrote:

    > On Sat, 3 Oct 1998, Bill Hawes wrote:
    >
    > >Roy Bixler wrote:
    > >
    > >> I am running kernel 2.1.123 on a couple of workstations and find a
    > >> reliable way to make the machines completely non-responsive is simply

    [deleted]

    > I passed last night and this afternoon on the OOM problem. I discovered
    > many problems in the current MM of 2.1.123.
    >
    > I developed a patch that fix all problems I can reproduce. With this my
    > patch applyed I am not able to deadlock (or better persistence starvation)
    > 2.1.123. Linux now is _always_ able to kill a process when _needed_.

    [deleted]

    This is my TEST 4, with no X, KDE, etc.

    Logged in a VC and ran leak.

    Try to log into another VC and:
    Welcome to Linux 2.1.124.

    wolverine login: ds
    /bin/login: can't map '/lib/libc.so.5'
    /bin/login: can't map '/lib/libc.so.5'
    /bin/login: can't load library 'libc.so.5'
    /bin/sh: can't map '/lib/libc.so.5'
    /bin/sh: can't map '/lib/libc.so.5'
    /bin/sh: can't load library 'libc.so.5'
    /bin/sh: can't map '/lib/libc.so.5'
    /bin/sh: can't map '/lib/libc.so.5'
    /bin/sh: can't load library 'libc.so.5'
    /bin/sh: can't map '/lib/libc.so.5'
    /bin/sh: can't map '/lib/libc.so.5'
    /bin/sh: can't load library 'libc.so.5'
    Unable to load interpreter
    INIT: Id "c3" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
    --------------------------------------

    The system remained responsive (however I can say that it had the same
    behaviour some kernel releases ago) but I wasn't able to run anything

    I could switch to the VC running leak an press ^C.

    The system is ok, I logged in, run xinit and I'm using netscape to write
    this.

    Im starting to have doubts if the patch was applied correctly, but I
    applied the patch, ran make dep and make bzImage. The timestamps seems
    correct and the image was created ok.

    I'm not sure what's hapenning...

    Is this the expected behaviour?
    Am I doing something stupid?

    I will do a few more tests and if I find anything usefull I will report
    it.

    Dino

    > Andrea[s] Arcangeli
    >
    > -

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:44    [W:0.025 / U:122.316 seconds]