    SubjectRe: 4MB pages and framebuffer access, x11perf results, 2.1.125
    In article <>, (Jim Gettys) writes:

    > Whether it is worth doing a general solution, and what such an implementation
    > should look like, and whether more than the hack solution is appropriate,
    > I don't know off hand (and I'm completely ignorant of x86 paging hardware).
    > If there is interest, I can try to find out if for Digital UNIX on Alpha
    > it has been worth doing more than hack 1) (I think that we also may use
    > the large TLB entries for shared libraries, if memory serves).
    This would mean that shared libraries couldn't be swapped page-by-page but
    only as a large chunk. That sounds like a serious memory waste and IO overhead
    if only parts of the shared libraries are used. Or do I miss something here?

    I could imagine 4MB pages in userspace could be useful for lots of other
    applications though.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:45    [W:0.019 / U:7.540 seconds]