    SubjectRe: Linus is on a powertrip..
    Alan Cox wrote:

    > > IMO, a cursory examination of the history of *BSD politics, stalled
    > > development and splits reveals that one of the most harmful delusions in the
    > > *BSD world is that it is some sort of democracy.
    >
    > You don't need to single out BSD for that. Give or take a bit of handwaving
    > Linux, Apache and *BSD are a Meritocracy. Its also better to think of Linus
    > as the QA manager from hell. The guy that drives every programmer up the
    > wall but not one of them would wish to be without.
    >
    > As to "power trip". You can accuse Linus of being a bad delegator, or a poor
    > manager perhaps but I don't think its an ego trip. Letting go of something
    > you created, spent several years of your life on and polished to your own
    > vision of perfection cannot be easy.

    If you take away the last part about "vision of perfection" you have
    basically
    described what it was like to when my two oldest children started off to
    college. I can tell you it does not get any easier sending them back
    after they
    have been home for the summer. So for those of us on the list who have
    watched
    our own children "leave the nest", I for one have a very good idea of
    what Linux
    means to Linus.

    --
    Terry L. Ridder
    Blue Danube Software (Blaue Donau Software)

    entertaining angels
    by the light of my computer screen
    24-7 you wait for me
    entertaining angels
    while the night becomes history
    host of heaven, sing over me
    ==Entertaining Angels==Newsboys

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:44    [W:0.026 / U:87.736 seconds]