SubjectRe: Out Of Memory in v. 2.1
On Sat, 3 Oct 1998, Bill Hawes wrote:
> Can you send a pointer to a "buggy app" that illustrates the problem?

I can give a couple. xscreensaver v. 2.28 has a module called
'decayscreen' which, if run, will also decay the system quite a lot
too. :-/ Chimera 2.0a14 has a rather unnerving habit of running fine
until hitting a Web page it doesn't grok; reboot time then. (Example:
try clicking on one of the case filings of the
"http://www.usdoj.gov/atr/cases/ms_index.htm" page.) As I said, I
could get rid of either of these apps (or get fixed versions, etc.),
but I'm thinking of the future. Why reboot when some app. goes wild
on memory? If I accepted the "well, don't do that then" thinking,
then I'd likely be a "blissfully ignorant Windows user."

> OOM killers are dangerous and I'd like to think we can find a better
> solution.

Sure they are. With each measure of protection comes a cost. But any
OOM killer should be an option with tuneable parameters to minimise
possibilities of overzealously killing processes. As far as I'm
concerned, since my objective is simply to keep the system useable
without a reboot, the bar for killing an app. could be set very high.

Regards,

--
Roy Bixler
rcbixler@nyx.net