SubjectRe: dec rz55 drives.
the problem is that if i put the drives on the scsi line (which is
mastered by an advansys card) the kernel hangs at boot after saying

advansys: AscInitGetConfig: board 0: unknown warning: a
advansys: AscInitSetConfig: board 0: I/O port increment switch enabled
scsi0 : AdvanSys SCSI 3.1E: ISA PnP 16 CDB: BIOS C800, IO 120/F, IRQ 11,
DMA 7
scsi : 1 host.

because (i think) it cannot get any information about the disks. without
the pair of disks, it continues with:

Vendor: iomega Model: jaz 1GB Rev: J.83
Detected scsi removable disk sda at scsi0, channel 0, id 4, lun 0
Vendor: Model: Rev:
Type: Sequential-Access ANSI SCSI revision: 01
Detected scsi tape st0 at scsi0, channel 0, id 5, lun 0
scsi : detected 1 SCSI tape 1 SCSI disk total.

the second is the tz tape which i was able to use from the same storage
expansion box.

so, putting the disks in the box makes the kernel unbootable because it
cannot bypass the scsi identification step.

Victor STANESCU-network administrator
The Numerical Methods Laboratory,
Politehnica University of Bucharest

On Thu, 29 Oct 1998, Alan Cox wrote:

> > is it possible to use in linux a dec rz55 drive? it works from a storage
> > expansion box, with simple scsi interface. i could put to work a tz30 tape
> > from such a box, but the hdd's do not start. as far as i already heard,
> > they need some scsi message like "start", because even if they are
> > powered, they don't start to spin.
>
> There should be a jumper on the drive to control that. Also when you try
> and mount a disk the code certainly implies it will send start messages

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:45    [W:0.907 / U:0.164 seconds]