    SubjectRe: [RFC] /proc/fs/nfsd/exports

    Hello Lins & All

    On Thu, 29 Oct 1998, Linus Torvalds wrote:
    > On Fri, 30 Oct 1998, Matti Aarnio wrote:
    > > The problem there is that IPv4 addresses, and masks are 32 bits
    > > long network-byte-order values, and our tradition has been printing
    > > them out thru %08X as if they are mere integers. (And letting
    > > user-space applications to 1: scan in the hex value, 2: turn it
    > > from network-byte-order value to presentation value of dotted-
    > > decimal form.)
    > >
    > > Those values are NOT integers originally, they are octet arrays.
    >
    > What?
    >
    > The values are IPv4 addresses. There is _one_ standard way of printing
    > them, and that standard way is as four decimal numbers. EVERYBODY prints
    > them that way. It's the only sane way to show them.
    >
    > There is no question in my mind - printing out IPv4 addresses as hex
    > "integers" is wrong. It has always been wrong, and it's wrong now. It
    > happens to be very simple, which is the excuse for doing it, but it's
    > still wrong.
    Ok how does the kernel read them ? As Binary I assume
    & are represented as Hexidecimal units , then converted
    for human consumption to Decimal . I am though a 'text'
    /proc fan .
    (opinion)
    I hate the need to create user level facilities
    be able to read (some) of the files containing
    information about -my- system .
    (/opinion)

    Tia, JimL