    SubjectRe: [RFC] /proc/fs/nfsd/exports
    Linus voiced his opinions:
    > On Thu, 29 Oct 1998, G. Allen Morris III wrote:
    > > /proc/fs/nfsd/exports would have:
    > > /home myhost 15 01000001,-02000001
    > > /home 10 02000001
    > > or
    > > /home localhost(async,ro,root_squash) #,(
    > > /home #
    > >
    > > I prefer the first, as it is much easier to implement, and easier to parse.
    > > but the second one is easier to read and would be compatible with exports(5).
    > I look at the first, and I don't immediately understand what it means.
    > I look at the second, and it looks much clearer.

    (Address presentation aside)
    Presenting the flag bits in symbolic form is much more
    portable (which reminds me of all the pain we have when
    we add new mount options and everybody must upgrade the
    mount program..) With some kernel (and utility) support
    the option flags could be fed to the kernel as strings,
    and let the kernel to interpret the string into a set of
    bits. With such behaviour the pains we have had with the
    mount would not be needed... How the 'exportfs' does it ?
    (hmm... 'amusing')

    But what is the purpose of the interface ? Is it intended
    to be *only* human readable, or *only* program parsable ?
    Or perhaps *mainly* program parsable ?
    (This is the reason why I don't like about the suggestions
    of messing with the ways how current /proc/net/ things present
    addresses.. Those are *mainly* program parsable.)

    > Guess which one I prefer.
    > Linus

    If the interface is only for humans, I agree with Linus.
    If it isn't, be carefull what you do. You may have to
    live with it for a long time...

    Oh yes, one thing which protocol designers always try to
    add into a protocol is a version label up front:
    #version: 1

    That way your client programs are easier to write to
    accomodate format revisions.

    /Matti Aarnio <>

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:45    [W:0.021 / U:2.188 seconds]