    SubjectRe: [patch] jiffies wraparound [Re: 2.1.125 Show stopper list: Draft]

    On Tue, 27 Oct 1998, Linus Torvalds wrote:

    > > But it would be a neat feature nevertheless, unfortunately exporting 4MB
    > > pages to ring 3 user-space doesnt seem to work (i've tried), only ring 0
    > > is supposed to see those mappings.
    >
    > The VM layer currently gets confused if it sees a 4MB page.
    >
    > I actually had 4MB pages working at one point (with magic hackery to the
    > pmd_xxx macros - no generic VM changes necessary), but it became fairly
    > ugly, and the generated code was nasty for the normal case of 4kB pages.

    my hack did it independently of the VM layer: fixing up the page table
    directly when /dev/mem gets mapped in a magic way. (this is unsafe but i
    just wanted to have a prototype first) I have tried really hard and others
    have told me it's the right conclusion, but i'll try it again. It would be
    a neat feature for XFree86 because it still happens quite often that the X
    server touches the framebuffer: line endings are sometimes nonstandard and
    have to be fixed up after an accel-line and small lines are faster in the
    framebuffer than setting up a whole accelerated operation. Plus font
    rendering is often done in the framebuffer too.

    -- mingo

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:45    [W:0.018 / U:1.080 seconds]