    SubjectRe: ARMS WAVING!!! Proposal to fix /proc dainbrammage.

    ... snip /proc discussion referring to uptime contents ...

    LT>the accuracy arbitrary. It's printed out in a format that is meant to be
    LT>scannable by "%f", so if you want to make it contain a few hundred
    LT>significant digits then you could..

    I agree, this is a sane method to implement accuracy. However, the value in
    uptime has a decimal precision of 2 digits, which is only 1
    one-hundreth of a second. Hmm, a nanosecond is 1 one-billionth of a second..
    which equates to 10-9, or a fp precision of 8 digits (not 2).

    LT>Always having microsecond resolution is a bad idea. Because something is
    LT>bound to come along that wants nanoseconds. So if you just basically say
    LT>that any fractional amount should always be printed out as a floating
    LT>point number, then you're fine.

    Of course, even a fp precision of 2 is more than enough for /proc/uptime,
    something that probably doesn't *really* matter beyond the nearest second
    anyway (or is there soemthing out there that actually uses the fractional
    part? I'm interested in seeing it.. )

    ---- ely --- Software/System Engineer ------