    SubjectRe: [patch] my latest oom stuff
    On Sat, 24 Oct 1998, Linus Torvalds wrote:
    > On Sat, 24 Oct 1998, Billy Harvey wrote:
    > >
    > > Linus, FWIW in a non-measured case, I've noticed the kswapd
    > > occassionally take 90% CPU (with top) if I run without any swap (144M
    > > RAM), but if I add 128M swap, I never see it. In fact, with the swap
    > > active, it hardly ever gets used, but seems to really affect the system
    > > with none available.
    > The thing is, that without any swap-space at all you really cut down
    > on the options the system has. It's not that the kernel _has_ to
    > have swap-space, but without any swap-space it ends up doing
    > essentially the same work it does when it _has_ swap-space, but now
    > 90% of it ends up being wasted.

    For 2.3, we really should move to a BSD-like multi-queue
    VM system (active, wired and inactive pages). A system
    like that avoids the prohibitively expensive scanning we
    do right now, that is, when properly implemented...

    | Linux memory management tour guide. |
    | Scouting Vries cubscout leader. |

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:45    [W:0.019 / U:5.756 seconds]