    SubjectRe: [patch] my latest oom stuff

    On Sat, 24 Oct 1998, Billy Harvey wrote:

    > Linus, FWIW in a non-measured case, I've noticed the kswapd
    > occassionally take 90% CPU (with top) if I run without any swap (144M
    > RAM), but if I add 128M swap, I never see it. In fact, with the swap
    > active, it hardly ever gets used, but seems to really affect the system
    > with none available.

    Yes.

    The thing is, that without any swap-space at all you really cut down on
    the options the system has. It's not that the kernel _has_ to have
    swap-space, but without any swap-space it ends up doing essentially the
    same work it does when it _has_ swap-space, but now 90% of it ends up
    being wasted.

    Another way of saying this it that the remaining 10% of it has to work ten
    times as hard to get the same results.

    Linus

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:45    [W:0.024 / U:92.892 seconds]