    SubjectRe: OSF/1 binaries on linux/axp bug (fs/exec.c)
    Date
    Once upon a time, Bob McElrath <mcelrath@draal.physics.wisc.edu> said:
    >The linux/axp implementation of loading OSF/1 binaries seems to have a bug.
    >The loading works fine, but generates the following message:
    >
    > 513:/sbin/loader: Fatal Error: loader cannot be invoked directly
    >
    >After perusing fs/exec.c I beleve the reason to be that /sbin/loader gets
    >run twice, once for the original application, and a second time
    >*for*itself*. ps reveals:
    >
    >(0)<mcelrath@draal:/home/mcelrath> netscape &
    >[1] 512
    >513:/sbin/loader: Fatal Error: loader cannot be invoked directly
    >(0)<mcelrath@draal:/home/mcelrath> ps aux | grep loader
    >mcelrath 512 0.6 6.5 22920 16688 ? S 11:48 0:01 /sbin/loader
    >mcelrath 513 0.0 0.0 0 0 ? Z 11:48 0:00 (loader <zombie>)
    >
    >Thus, I surmise that /sbin/loader is executed a *second* time, with itself
    >as its argument, and subsequently fails and gives the above message.
    >
    >Can someone more familiar with the data structures involved in loading and
    >executing binaries possibly look at this and eliminate the second execution
    >of /sbin/loader? I can test any patches that anyone comes up with.

    The second execute is because netscape re-executes itself to get
    asynchronous DNS lookups. The standard resolver libraries only support
    synchronous DNS lookups, so to allow the user to interrupt them, netscape
    starts a second process it can signal. I suspect the problem lies in the
    fact that the ARGV string shows /sbin/loader instead of netscape, so when
    netscape looks at its ARGV to find its own name and run it, it instead
    tries to run /sbin/loader, which doesn't work.

    I never tried to figure out how to fix it - I just turned off async DNS
    lookups (put "export MOZILLA_NO_ASYNC_DNS=True" in your .profile to do
    this).
    --
    Chris Adams - cadams@ro.com
    System Administrator - Renaissance Internet Services