SubjectRe: First try : devfs
On Wed, 21 Oct 1998, Junichi Saito wrote:

> CONFIG_BLK_DEV_FD=m
> CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDE=y
> CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDISK=y
> CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDECD=m
> CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEFLOPPY=m
> CONFIG_UNIX98_PTYS=y <------ Is this right ?

That's just fine. Any bugs in that have been squashed in the
last few revs.

> CONFIG_UNIX98_PTY_COUNT=256
> CONFIG_ISO9660_FS=m
> CONFIG_DEVFS_FS=y
> # CONFIG_DEVFS_ONLY is not set
> # CONFIG_DEVFS_DISABLE_OLD_NAMES is not set
> # CONFIG_DEVFS_DISABLE_OLD_TTY_NAMES is not set
> # CONFIG_DEVFS_TTY_COMPAT is not set

You should select this. (CONFIG_DEVFS_TTY_COMPAT) as yes.
At least I do, and it works for me.

> # CONFIG_DEVFS_MOUNT is not set
> # CONFIG_DEVFS_DEBUG is not set
> # CONFIG_DEVFS_BOOT_OPTIONS is not set

I have this set to y (CONFIG_DEVFS_BOOT_OPTIONS)

> Also enabled afterwards Sysrq because of oops.
>
> I followed literally, I think, the instructions of README ( Fail-safe
> Approach with real /dev inodes ).

So try the CONFIG_DEVFS_TTY_COMPAT=y, and lemme (or Gooch) know.
I was doing massive compiles in X last night, two to four different
compiles at a time, ie two versions of pgcc, lesstif, lotsa stuff
and many xterms AND vc's open. Never had an oops.

However, I KNOW Richard would be interested in hearing exactly
what is causing an oops, and at what point.

Do some straces, test a non-patched kernel, etc...

-Shawn
<=========== America Held Hostage ===========>
Day 2099 for the poor and the middle class.
Day 2118 for the rich and the dead.
823 days remaining in the Raw Deal.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:45    [W:0.030 / U:0.132 seconds]