    SubjectRe: Motherboard design specifically for Linux
    On 21-Oct-98 Vojtech Pavlik wrote:
    >> a floppy would be much better
    >> and then again, what about ls-120?
    > Ouch, you'd need to have a full IDE/ATAPI driver inside the non-writable part
    > of the ROM, which I don't think is a good idea.

    i know
    that is why i asked the question

    i've built a couple of machines recently with no floppy (just ls-120) which
    after all will read/write ordinary floppies
    some motherboards i've used have a bios which treats an ls-120 as if it were a
    floppy and map it to a: etc. then again, some other motherboards do not do
    this.

    i was proposing that the linux motherboard (with it's 2MB of cache :-) will do
    the former

    my ideal would be something like the AOpen AX59Pro with 2MB cache and 8 SDRAM
    sockets and the floppy and power connectors in the "right" location. oh, and a
    watchdog timer like the wdt500 built in

    --
    simon