SubjectRe: Linux vs Microsoft
On Sat, 17 Oct 1998, Eric S. Raymond wrote:

>> > If Linux is to seriously compete with M$ on the desktop, something will
>> > have to be done in order to ease the burden of installation and
>> > configuration for the non-technical user community. No small task. Of
>> > course Linux was no small task either.
>>
>> You keep forgetting - the average user couldnt install windows 95 either,
>> not and then sort out the video cards and other stuff. They solve it by
>> buying preinstalled machines.
>>
>> Nowdays you can do the same for Linux
>
>There are two reasons this is a poor argument:
>
>1. We shouldn't settle for being as bad as 95. It's beneath us.

Agreed.

>2. The "buy a preinstalled machine" advice won't be convincing until
>the big boys (Dell, Gateway, etc) make such an option generally
>available.

Also agreed, but it does appear apparant that at least Dell is
starting to support Linux now. It won't be more than a year
until we start to see preinstalls of Linux be a lot more popular
IMHO.

Take care!

--
Mike A. Harris - Computer Consultant - Linux advocate

Linux software galore: http://freshmeat.net