SubjectRe: setting access rights to priviledged ports
Date

-----Original Message-----
From: Olaf Titz <olaf@bigred.inka.de>
To: David Lang <dlang@diginsite.com>
Cc: linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu <linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu>
Date: Sunday, October 18, 1998 8:48 AM
Subject: Re: setting access rights to priviledged ports

>> without making kernel changes. As for the case where you do have hostile
>> users, they still need to find a way to crash sendmail before putting in
>
>Just wait until it becomes unavailable. I have seen too many services
>crashing on production machines that this just makes me nervous.
>
>(Btw. for any services started from inetd there is a trivial way to
>shut them down.)

Is this trivial way doable by a normal user? If so then this is a serious
security bug. If this trick is only doable by root then the mail is already
as good as stolen. And if a normal user is able to shutdown inetd deamons
then wouldn't he still have to free the port from its usage by inetd?

>> their replacement (and learning what port to put it on, all other
machines
>> think they are talking to port 25)
>
>With the transproxy trick you can look the redirections up in /proc.

Could proper permissions on /proc solve this?

>olaf
>

>-

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:45    [W:0.086 / U:0.100 seconds]