SubjectFirst try : devfs

I tried for the first time devfs, by applying devfs-patch-v70 to the
kernel 2.1.125 and encountered some problems. I chose the most
conservative method, ie, only enabled CONFIG_DEVFS_FS ( and
CONFIG_DEVFS_TTY_COMPAT afterwards ), devfs not mounted on /dev, sevral
old style device files (tty*, pty*, xconsole) left in /dev.

Will be greatly appreciated any suggestions/answers to the following
problems/questions. Thank you.

1° Running certain applications (X, open) causes an oops. Somebody already
reported the same problem related to the function init_dev in tty_io.c.

2° A start-up script initialising serial ports gets a message saying
'/dev/ttySx: Operation not supported by device'.

3° When I reboot or shut down, I see now the message :

swapoff: /dev/xxx: Invalid argument

although at boot, the partition seems to be normally recognized.

Shouldn't they (2°, 3°) work as before ?

4° How do I have to operate with block devices ? The partitions mounted at
boot appear as /devfs/hdax ( I have one IDE hd installed.). I can at
least unmount one of them, using /devfs/hdax. As to removable mdedia
such as cdroms, ide floppy disks for which I compiled drivers as module,
I seem to have to use those new long names. Or are there more smart ways ?

junichi

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:45    [W:0.072 / U:0.352 seconds]