SubjectRE: Let's Hear it for Linux: ? Yawn

On 02-Oct-98 Sid Boyce wrote:
> http://www.upside.com/texis/mvm/story?id=36147d2c0 refers:
>
> Amazingly I couldn't raise a Yawn,a hearty laugh was all I could muster.
> I know it would be foolish to have bet on little David against the
mighty
> Goliath and most bets would "safely go on Goliath", very reasonable, we'd all
> say.
> To liken Linux to OS/2 and Mac, you are saying the little guy always
loses.
> Most of us came from DOS/WINDOWS, so we know the difference between an
> operating
> system that delivers constantly and one that does only on your lucky day. The
> Blue Screen of Death and such happy occurrences are behind us now, but we
> still
> have vivid memories of those traumatic occasions, sometimes we see them quite
> often and they make for a good laugh.
> I know Corporate buyers will always go with the crowd, but they have a
nasty
> habit of demanding security and reliability, also their patience is not
> endless,
> so when cracks appear in the dam, a flood is heralded.
> Personal users are by and large quite computer illiterate, so they will
more
> often sacrifice solidity for whatever comes second, but even there, people
> are
> asking questions and looking for something better.
>
> Another laugh, seeing figures of IE against Netscape, most people I know
> prefer
> Netscape, but they all have PC's with Windows and IE, hell, they can't buy
> anything else, it's there whether they want it or not, the dealers having
> been
> offered a deal they COULDN'T refuse..
> Microsoft's sales are as large as they are simply because every PC
shipped
> is
> forced to have it installed, but it doesn't mean there are an equivalent
> number
> of happy users.
> Linux will do well, even an article such as yours which offers such
cogent
> arguments as to why it should be shunned, generates further interest from
> others
> who would probably only have vaguely heard the word Linux mentioned. Every
> negative article has had precisely that effect, so keep them coming.
> I would wager that your article around the same date in 3 years time
will
> probably have the same general thread running through it, but significantly
> changed in substance, I'm hugely looking forward to it --- SMILE ---.
> How about a regular LINUX column here ?????
> Regards
> --
> ... Sid Boyce...Amdahl(Europe)...44-121 422 0375

http://www.hzo.cubenet.de/ioscount/web_summary_01.html

I was going to send it to him (richardb@...) but why should I give him a clue?

Let him dream about ladies and dragons while he sleeps his MickeySoft siesta in
peace.

E-Mail: Manuel J. Galan <manolow@step.es>
Date: 02-Oct-98
Time: 23:11:11