SubjectRe: 2.2 missing features
>Agreed.  I know some very nice features that didn't make it into 2.1
>because the authors were "doing [their] development on 2.0 and don't
>want to deal with 2.1 as well". This is the tail wagging the dog,
>folks.

I've been in that position myself, as well as the reverse one. There are
valid reasons why people may want to work on 2.0. In particular

- if you're writing some new driver or piece of code you don't necessarily
want the rest of the kernel changing underneath you all the time as is wont to
happen with 2.1. Choosing a particular 2.1 release and sticking with it is no
good because then you have the worst of both worlds -- your code won't go
cleanly into the latest kernels, and the codebase you're working from isn't as
well tested as the 2.0 one.

- once your driver is finished and you want to deploy it in production, you
may not want to have to run 2.1 kernels just so that you can support your new
ethernet card. Although I might be happy to run 2.1 in a production system
right now, six months ago I was a lot more nervous. (In fact we did it anyway
and nothing bad happened, but...)

If someone is starting Linux development for the first time then it's a lot
less intimidating if they can start from a "stable" kernel.

p.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:45    [W:0.052 / U:0.248 seconds]