    SubjectRe: /proc/bus/pci odd behavior

    On Sat, 17 Oct 1998, Martin Mares wrote:

    > We _do_ take into account real hardware. We already disallow access to
    > anything else than the standard header to ordinary users. Root is expected
    > to know what he is doing and system interfaces should not be obscurified
    > just to make the machine uncrashable by root who types commands he doesn't
    > understand. /proc/ioports is just the same story and nobody is worried
    > about it -- do you see any difference?

    maybe building a list of known broken card IDs and 'printing out something
    nasty' instead of 'locking up silently' prevents most of the problems?

    While it's not fundamentally different from using /proc/ioports, people
    feel uncomfortable because 'lspci -xx' is such a simple command and looks
    pretty harmless on the surface. (even if the man page warns about possible
    lockups). Maybe changing it to lspci --unsafe-query-all warns people.
    (also, it's just one typo away from 'lspci -x') [Admittedly, i use lspci
    -xx frequently and only recently learned about it's side effects. It looks
    too harmless IMHO.]

    -- mingo

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:45    [W:0.018 / U:25.672 seconds]