SubjectRe: Linux vs Microsoft

On 16 Oct 1998, david parsons wrote:

> In article <linux.kernel.19981016110948.A32241@thyrsus.com>,
> Eric S. Raymond <esr@thyrsus.com> wrote:
> >david parsons <o.r.c@p.e.l.l.p.o.r.t.l.a.n.d.o.r.u.s>:
> >> How many big relational databases were ported to OS/2, and what is
> >> your opinion of the future of OS/2?
> >
> >I have no knowledge on the first question and no interest in the second.
>
> You should, for OS/2 is a non-MS operating system that had quite
> a bit of stuff ported to and written for it, but still ended up
> dead.
OS/2's Situation is not the same as Linux's. People bought OS/2 since they
thought it would help them do their work. We use Linux since we like it,
and we (most of us) use it from the days when Linux didn't have many
applications.
It would be really nice if we could make all the people of the world want
to use Linux, but even if we don't it should not change the situation.

OTOH, our system group (I'm one of them) decided to change our servers from
Sun machines to PCs with Linux on them, so having a lot of applications
for Linux help me work with it at work... (Please excuse my English...)

Now for a question: I was able to convince the prof. that teaches the OS
course to make it Linux specific. Do you know of any material that can
help him teach the revised course (so I will have less work helping him
preparing the lectures). What we need are class slides, and ideas for
exercises (I have few, but the more there are the better).

Liran.
---
http://www.math.tau.ac.il/~liranz/

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:45    [W:0.649 / U:0.676 seconds]