SubjectRe: [patch] jiffies wraparound [Re: 2.1.125 Show stopper list: Draft]
On Fri, 16 Oct 1998, Alan Cox wrote:

>> With this patch after 2 minutes since boot the `jiffies' should wraparound
>> and so we should start to catch not yet fixed bugs. I suggest people the
>> stress the kernel in the first two minutes of run of the kernel.
>
>I don't think the patched kernel is happy. I've been playing with some

It' s not. I catched very big problems in the do_fast_gettimeoffset() at
least. In such function the jiffies static initialization change cause
problems (just fixed also in other arch).

Seems that such function cause a div_by_zero fault if run when jiffies ==
0 if I understand well this:

(divl %2) == (dx:ax / %2)

Unfortunately I had not time to understand what do_fast_gettimeoffset()
does, I was going to work on it now.

>bits of it to see what happens. Your sd.c patch doesnt compile but thats
>obvious to fix. If I just lob the lot in however then the ttys stop working

Thanks sd fixed now.

>and the disk stuff acquires a big extra delay

?!? what does it mean "lob the lot in however"? ;-).

Andrea Arcangeli

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:45    [W:0.167 / U:0.948 seconds]