SubjectRe: 921Kbps on Linux: is it possible ?!?!
Theodore Y. Ts'o wrote:

> So sure, we can add support for faster speeds, but I still stand by my
> statement that I suspect very, very few people will be using speeds
> greater than 230400. Aside from serial boards wanting to boast that
> they can do high speeds (and some of the ones who claim they can that
> I've tested really can't --- but it's not a problem because most people
> will never notice), there simply much in the way of hardware peripherals
> that use the higher speeds. I've seen a very few modems that support
> 230400, but that's about it. And if you're doing computer-to-computer
> data transfers, why are you using a serial line? Use Ethernet instead;
> it's way faster, and that's what it's designed for.

This is the most closed minded thinking I've ever seen come out of a
vetern linux developer. You should know by now that the limited scope of
what you THINK someone will use something for usually is quickly broken
though will mutitudes of ulterior uses.

FYI:
Any external ISDN TA worth more then a penny does at least 230K. Those that are
good (low latency) do 460K - 921K.

I have an 8 port board sitting next to me with TI 16550s, that does 921K.
The only way I can set it above 115K for use with linux is to lock the mutiplier
higher with a DOS util. (And then I can not fall back to 115K!)

In any embedded applications, using a serial port for high speed transfers is
much easier then designing an ethernet card!

--
http://www.linkscape.net/ Linkscape Internet Services 732-541-4214
http://www.linuxrouter.org/ Linux Router Project

Please, no more BubbaVision.