SubjectRe: Reducing the pressure

On Thu, 15 Oct 1998, Larry McVoy wrote:
> : Unrelated question -- you're using SCCS as a repository. I'd like to see
> RCS has this problem, but SCCS has a solution. In SCCS, you can say
> "edit revision 1.19.1.20 but also include 1.28". It is up to you (or

Speaking of unrelated repository format questions, one feature that RCS
lacks that would be very useful if you could put it in your system is to
allow the initial revision to remain outside of the repository. The
repository would just store a pointer to the original.

One could then take a base source tree on, say, a CD-ROM, and work with it,
with only ones changes (plus repository overhead) actually being stored on
ones hard disk.

--Tim Smith

ps: I think this is on-topic here, because the system Mr. McVoy is designing
seems to have a good chance of becoming an important tool of the major kernel
developers.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:45    [W:0.479 / U:0.332 seconds]