SubjectRe: sb16 duplex fix
On Wed, 14 Oct 1998, Alan Cox wrote:

> I would agree with this, mmap() on sound is a neat hack but it is very very
> questionable if it is needed or useful. Its really a quake compatibility
> feature 8)
I second this opinion.

It looks like sound devices in future will have more and more local
buffer memory or FIFO space which makes using mmap() impossible, difficult
or at least rather inpractical. I don't see any reason to support this
feature in future if somebody gets the Quake folks to implement a non
mmap() version.

This feature will disappear from the OSS programmer's guide in near
future.

Best regards,

Hannu
-----
Hannu Savolainen (hannu@opensound.com)
http://www.fi.opensound.com/~hannu (personal)
http://www.opensound.com/oss.html (Open Sound System (OSS))
http://www.opensound.com/ossfree (OSS/Free)

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:45    [W:0.147 / U:0.160 seconds]